Welcome to the Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company website. We are a Bedminster Township Fire Company serving Bedminster Township, Somerset County, and Tewksbury Township, Hunterdon County since 1954. We are a 100% volunteer fire company located in the Pottersville area of Bedminster Township, Somerset County, New Jersey. Our diverse membership performs this service of his or her own free will without any compensation.
A group of local citizens met in the schoolhouse on December 17,1953 and organized the:
Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company No.1
Pottersville, Bedminster Township
Somerset County, New Jersey
The membership was drawn from all quarters of town and on January 15, 1954 the Company elected its first slate of officers. There were 25 charter members and a total of 45 members by the end of the first year. On February 6, 1954 the Company was incorporated as The Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company.
The first major effort was the purchase of a fire truck. By holding suppers, auction sales, block parties and associated activities, along with private donations and the contributions of Bedminster and Tewksbury Townships, nearly $5,000.00 was raised the first year. One half of a barn, a short distance south of the present firehouse on Black River Road, was rented from Richard Denny at a cost of $1.00 per year. A concrete floor was laid and alterations made to accommodate a pumper and the required equipment. On the last week of February 1955 our first truck was delivered, a 1954 GMC 500 GPM pumper. This truck was designated "Pottersville Truck #1". After placing a siren on the local schoolhouse the company was now ready to service the community.
In June of 1955 a building fund was set up for the purpose of building a separate structure owned by the Fire Company to house its trucks and equipment. By tireless effort and continuance of the fund raising activities, which led to our present Antique Show, the building fund began to grow. In 1957 the land on which the present firehouse stands was donated to the Fire Company by William B.K. Bassett. In June of 1958 a bid was accepted and construction started on the firehouse and proceeded in stages as funds became available. Prior to this the regular monthly meetings of the Fire Company were held in the Schoolhouse, the Community House, or the Sportsman Club. The first monthly meeting held in the new Firehouse was April of 1959. The entire building was officially reported completed in the minutes of February 1, 1961.
The Company Insignia was designed by Fire Chief Edward Whiting in 1964. Edward, Ted as he was known to all, emigrated from England to the Pottersville area with his family in 1959. After his service in the British Army during World War II he had a brief stint with the London Fire Brigade in England. Ted, a Life Member of the Company, joined the Company in 1962 and faithfully served until his passing in 1991.
The Insignia shows a golden eagle holding a shield which shows the Company's founding date. The colors represent the green hills and black river of the area. The red, white and blue are for the colors of the United States flag. A flame motive with a traditional fire axe and ladder complete the design of the insignia. In 1990 the Ladies Auxiliary raised funds to purchase a Company Flag for the Fire Company. The flag consists of the Company Insignia centered on a white background with Gold Braid around the flag perimeter.
The ladies Auxiliary established in 1974, provides support to the Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company and promotes civic welfare in the community such as
Providing monetary support to the firefighters and making donations to the items that they are in need of
Providing support to the firefighters when they are called to structure fires
Raising funds for our purpose and charities designated by the membership
Hosting community functions